Principles of the Ombuds Office
- Reinforces perception as a safe, confidential resource
- Option to speak "off the record"
- Supplements formal procedures
- Visits are voluntary
- Supports neutrality and impartiality
- Free from interference
- Operates independent of other campus offices, not part of the "chain of command"
- Necessary condition for trust
- Encourages visitors to speak freely and honestly
- No outside discussions without your permission
- No records are kept on behalf of the University
- Supports fairness and confidentiality
- Not an advocate for individuals, an advocate for a fair process
- No forced "solutions", just options and advice