How the Ombuds Office Can Help:

If you have a reason for not wanting to go through official channels, a talk with an Ombuds may help identify alternative courses of action. For many problems, a normal procedure or route of appeal is set out in university rules or policies. If you don’t know whether there is a procedure that fits your situation, you may contact the Ombuds Office for assistance.  Some examples include:


  • Course management issues (i.e., grade issues, academic misconduct, exam policies, etc)
  • Dispute with a university unit, staff person or faculty member
  • On-campus work issues
  • Thesis and dissertation issues
  • Conflict with advisor

Faculty and Staff:

  • Workplace disputes
  • Conflict with a colleague, supervisor or department
  • Consult regarding a student situation

Students, Staff, and Faculty:

  • Threats or retaliation\
  • Policy consultation and violations
  • Conflict coaching (i.e., preparing for a difficult conversation)
  • Harassment and discrimination consultation
  • Bullying or incivility consultation
  • Health and safety issues
  • Interpersonal difficulties
  • Help navigating the university bureaucracy
  • Access other university resources and provide referrals
  • Discuss sensitive issues in confidence

KU Today
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times